Sunday, September 9, 2018

Traveling comforts


I don't know about you but I hate using the 'facilities' on a moving vehicle of any sort, train, bus, plane, it doesn't matter. However, I am fascinated by compactness and economy of space.

So, I was captivated by the bathroom facilities afforded on this 1931 train display in Omaha's Durham Museum. Unfortunately there were gates that kept visitors from entering the areas so it is difficult to appreciate the compact elegance of this first-class accommodation. The cars hearkened back to the days when train travel was a luxury to be savored, not a lurch from one place to another.
Not one, but two sinks, one, I believe for shaving
Note the padded bench in front of the corner one

Voila! the bench reveals the toilet
the space over the toilet become a berth

Another car featured the sink transformed into a shelf
and..



No comments:

Post a Comment